6.16.2010

Bye bye dryer sheets

The ONLY reason I ever really used dryer sheets was to keep my clothes from being all "staticky."  I seem to have a sensitivity to scents so I usually have a headache if I wear clothes that smell too much like commerical detergents or dryer sheets.  Most of both are scented to mask the odors the deteregents aren't able to clean.  If I had it my way I'd line dry my clothes but the HOA doesn't agree.  With that being said, I was not hesitant in the least to quit using dryer sheets when I found a solution to the static.

Another simple one.  And why not start small?  I recently found a woman, named Lindsay, whose blog I find inspiring.  Her family lives their life as I'd like my family to live ours - frugal, healthy, naturally and most importantly, faithfully. 

Here's the solution I found to throw the dryer sheets away:
  • A tablespoon or 2 of white vinegar (no worries, your clothes will not smell like vinegar)
Add this to the softener dispenser of your washing machine at the start of your wash.  If you'd like your clothes to smell nice and pretty you can throw a towel/washcloth in the dryer that has a few drops of essential oil on it.

Our review:  2 thumbs up from me.  John is satisfied with the lack of static but he really wants his clothes to "smell clean."  I'll advise him of the essential oil next time he does laundry (and yes, he does his own laundry).

1 comment:

  1. Not sure this would fly with my husband who actually folds up a dryer sheets and keeps it in his pocket all day, ha, ha. But I do really like the idea of using the essential oils.

    ReplyDelete